Thursday, July 10, 2008

Inexpensive Unusual Pets


Last summer, I got an idea to get a salamander. I wanted to get an Axolotl, so we went to the bait shop to look at the Water Dogs. You know, those mud colored slimy lizards with gills that get used for fish bait. I picked out a healthy looking one, and he only cost me $1! Then I bought a 14 gallon see-through Rubbermaid container for him to live in, and I got some polished rocks about 1-2 1/2 inches wide to put at the bottom of his tank. I also got some aquarium plants to put in there. Altogether, it cost me about $30 for everything. Now, If I had gone and bought my salamander at Petsmart or Pet-Co, it probably would have cost at least twice as much as it did.

As it turns out, he wasn't an Axolotl, but a baby Tiger Salamander. I named him Cricket. Now he's grown up, and he lives on land, but he still lives in a clear Rubbermaid tub (I need to build him a pen outside).

So, my Frugal Friday tip is, if you want a salamander, rescue one from the bait shop instead of buying one from the pet store!





Go to Biblical Womanhood for more frugal tips!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never would have thought of that. My kids would love one of those!

Tara said...

LOL great idea.. not sure if i could sleep at night knowing there were lizards ect.. in the house.. lol I am a big baby lol